About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at email@example.com
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
Project Overview And Role
Palladium is recruiting a Senior Health Finance Advisor who will support the USAID/Nigeria Integrated Health Program (IHP) to support activities related to health financing for universal health coverage. These responsibilities will require a person with knowledge on national and state governments as well as the private health sector participation. This is a full-time position based in Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travel to 3-5 states, and reporting to the Technical Lead for Health Systems Strengthening.
We are recruiting a Senior Health Financing Advisor to provide content knowledge, technical assistance, and support for the development and execution of health financing and economics activities. Areas of expertise include fiscal space analysis, budget tracking, bottleneck analysis, system of health accounts, resource needs and financing gap analysis, domestic resource mobilization, risk pooling and health insurance, designing costed packages of services and strategic purchasing. Methodologies that may be applied include systematic literature reviews, qualitative and quantitative surveys, governance/regulatory assessments, innovative financing and financial feasibility of proposals for expansion of health programs and risk-pooling schemes.
The Senior Health Finance Advisor will provide technical assistance to and build capacity of country policymakers, state program managers and decision-makers; design and or conduct studies; and write position papers, reports, and technical briefs to inform relevant audiences. The candidate will be required to determine methods and procedures on new assignments, and both implement and manage other staff or consultants in carrying them out.
Primary Duties And Responsibilities
- Provides health financing expertise/technical assistance to National and State activities of the project, working with other technical staff and host country government institutions.
- Designs and executes the overall health financing strategy for the project and support the MEL team to track the achievement of project results for health financing under the USAID contract.
- Provides remote and on-the-ground technical, managerial, and operational oversight, capacity building and mentoring to specific projects and activities in States settings related to areas of core expertise.
- Works with the national and state level actors to establish and or strengthen multi sectoral health financing technical working groups (TWGs) to institutionalize ongoing health financing reforms.
- Provides technical advisory support to the state’s contributory health agencies, state health trust fund agencies, and other relevant stakeholder platforms.
- Analyzes the economic and financing implications of implementing enhanced health systems, increasing access to and improving quality of primary healthcare services, including integrated reproductive/family planning, maternal and newborn health, child health, nutrition and malaria.
- Provides expert technical guidance towards the design and effective implementation of state contributory health schemes for improved revenue generation, increased risk pooling and shift to strategic purchasing.
- Provides technical support to the National Steering Committee of the Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF) to ensure funds flow through the NHIS and NPHCDA gateways to the states.
- Provides guidance to NPHCDA, FMOH and state governments regarding budgeting and for service delivery activities and HRH, and innovative financing.
- Uses various quantitative and qualitative techniques to perform financing and policy analysis tasks. Conducts health financing core analytics, expenditure analyses, economic evaluations and develop resource mobilization plans for sustainable health financing systems.
- Participates in and prepares necessary technical and program-related reports, including presentations and white papers.
- Organizes and facilitates as needed project/program trainings, conferences, workshops, and meetings. Is responsible for the development of health financing activity-specific work plans and budgets.
- Ensures quality of services and compliance per project/program requirements.
- Provide functional guidance to outside vendors/grantees working on health finance related tasks to ensure deliverables are met within timelines and budgets.
- Represent IHP at health financing meetings/events and actively participate in the national health financing
- Technical Working Group and other relevant technical committees.
- Document health financing success stories/lessons learned and produce publishable health financing materials including policy briefs and peer-reviewed articles.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Advanced degree (MA, MSc, PhD) in economics, health economics, relevant social sciences or public health with academic specialization in health financing or commensurate work experience in health finance
- At least 5 years of health finance experience and broad knowledge in Nigeria’s governance and health finance landscape
- Sound knowledge of methodologies used in health finance research, economic analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, quantitative analysis, and statistical/econometric analysis
- Knowledge of relevant literature and state of the art interventions related to topic area
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial, and evaluative skills
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe
- Professional and mature demeanor and conduct
- Ability to respond and adapt quickly to changing requirements and competing demands
- Ability to take initiative and/or respond independently to situations
- Appropriate software skills necessary to conduct research, and to conduct analysis of study data, such as STATA, SPSS, or equivalent
- Strong written and oral communication skills for high-level policy audiences (writing examples may be required)
- Fluency in English required, and local languages (Hausa) preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 50% of the time within Nigeria, including to states in the north
Apply Through The Company’s site HERE